The Georgia Farm School and Resettlement Bureau was organized in 1939 as a non-profit agency, interested in the resettlement and retraining of Jewish refugees. It was first thought, because of Georgia's special agricultural economy, that many of the individuals should be given training leading to eventual placement on area farms. The Bureau, however, soon discovered that many of the young refugees were not interested in farming, and it modified its agricultural emphasis to a general resettlement and training program.
Maintaining its name as the Georgia Farm School, the Bureau assisted newcomers in finding employment in a variety of fields. Many Jewish businessmen were contacted, in the hopes that they would employ and train refugees to develop new job skills, Other needs, eg., social, medical, dental, and education, were met by the numerous committees of the Bureau. As the situation in Europe deteriorated, the Bureau developed a working relationship with the National Refugee Service. This relationship enabled the Farm School to disseminate information regarding immigration possibilities for Jewish citizens of occupied territories.
The last meeting of the Farm Bureau was held on December 12, 1941. It was at this meeting that the Executive Council discussed the question of enemy aliens, and decided on the basis of that discussion to suspend all activities of the Bureau.
The Georgia Farm School and Resettlement Bureau Records, 1936-1944, 1948, are composed primarily of the correspondence, minutes, commitee reports and financial records relating to the daily activities of this organization. Also included are the records of some of the agencies with which the Farm School had dealings such as the National Council of Jewish Women and the National Refugee Service.
Arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within each folder.
Finding aid available in library.