Organizational Records (J–K)
- Individual & Family Papers
- Business Records
- Synagogue Records
- Unprocessed Collections
- Taylor Oral History Collection
For more information or to make an appointment, call Sandra Berman, Archivist, at 404-870-1862, or contact her by e-mail.
Joseph B. and Lena B. Jacobs Foundation, Inc. Atlanta, Georgia. Records, 1961–1986.
Size: .2 linear feet
Content: The collection consists of the minutes of this foundation from its inception in 1961 to its incorporation as a supporting foundation of the Atlanta Jewish Federation now known as the Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta.
Significance: This foundation was founded in 1961 to distribute funds devoted exclusively to the causes of charity, education, and religion within the United States.
Jewish Educational Loan Fund. Records, 1883–1991.
Hebrew Orphans Home.
Size: 15 linear feet
Content: Administrative files including legal papers, minutes and annual reports of the Jewish Orphans Home and the Jewish Children's Service; case files of residents of the Jewish Orphans Home and case files of European children who either emigrated immediately prior to the World War II, or who survived the Holocaust, and who were then placed in a foster home in Atlanta.
Significance: The Jewish Educational Loan Fund, Inc., was originally established in 1889 as the Hebrew Orphan's Asylum. The facility was home to hundreds of Jewish children from the Southeast between the years 1889 to 1930, when it closed as a resident facility. In 1948, the name of the Jewish Orphan's Home was officially changed to The Jewish Children's Service, Inc. Regional foster home placement and adoptions were administered under the auspices of this Bureau. In 1988, the official name was again changed to the Jewish Educational Loan Fund to more accurately portray the organization's present function, which is to provide interest-free loans to Jewish students whose families live in any of the affiliated communities throughout the Southeast.
Jewish Ladies Aid Society. Columbus, Georgia Records, 1874-2000.
Jewish Ladies Aid Society, Columbus, Georgia.
Size: 2.4 linear feet
Contents: Minutes, financial records, annual reports and year books.
Significance: The Jewish Ladies Aid Society (JLAS) - Columbus, Georgia was founded on July 5, 1874 by The Ladies Purim Association. These women decided to broaden the focus of their association, that was up to now limited to an annual Purim ball, to include charity and benevolence within the Jewish community and throughout the City of Columbus. Originally named the Daughters of Israel, this newly-formed organization would subsequently change its name to the Hebrew Benevolent Society, The Ladies Aid Society and finally to the Jewish Ladies Aid Society. The JLAS functioned as the Sisterhood for Temple B'nai Israel founded in Columbus in 1854. Later changing its name to Temple Israel, the congregation is the second oldest in the State of Georgia.
Joseph Schaffer (1884-1939) Family. Papers, c.1950.
(Jewish National Fund tree certificate)
Jewish Orphan Home. Records, undated
(color postcard showing exterior of home)
Jewish Progressive Club. Atlanta, Georgia. Records, 1923-1978.
Progressive Club Junior Basketball Team, “Reds”, 1928-29
L-r, first row: Ephie Berman, Lewis Wilens “Shimmy” Blass,
Dave Kulbersh, “Buster” Herman; second row: “Monk” Dorfan
(center on Varsity team and coach for the Reds” “Goo-Goo”
Zimmerman, Joseph Lazear” – President JPC, “Firpo” Horwitz,
Ralph Morris, Ralph Abelman (Mgr).
Size: .8 cubic feet.
Content: Minutes and newsletters.
Significance: The Jewish Progressive Club was established in 1913 by Russian Jews who felt unwelcome at the Standard Club, which had been founded by German Jews in 1867.
Jewish Triangle Club. Records, c.1945-1990.
(newspaper article and history)
Jewish Vocational Service – Atlanta, Georgia. Records, 1982.
(cookbook produced by the Senior Adult Workshop)
Jewish War Veterans of the United States. Atlanta Post No. 112. Ladies Auxiliary. Records, 1957.
(Flyer from Flag Day rally)
Jewish Welfare Fund of Columbus, Inc. Columbus, Georgia. Records, 1944.
(photocopy of Articles of Incorporation)
Hebrtew Orphans Home, Atlanta.
The Katherine and Jacob Greenfield Hebrew Academy of Atlanta. Atlanta, Georgia. Records, 1953-1991.
Size: .8 linear feet.
Content: Anniversary books, scrapbook, 1953-1960, and photocopies of minutes.
Significance: First Jewish day school in Atlanta, established in 1953.
Keren Hayesod. Records, 1922.
Postcard depicting the newly reorganized Knights of the
Klan at Stone Mountain Park, Atlanta, Georgia, 1915.
Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. Records, c.1920-1923.
(newsletter, brochure, postcard, and blank page used for minutes)