Synagogue Records (R–T)
- Individual & Family Papers
- Business Records
- Organizational Records
- Unprocessed Collections
- Taylor Oral History Collection
Rodeph Sholom Congregation. Rome, Georgia. Records, 1875–2005.
Size: 2.5 linear feet.
Content: The Records of Rodeph Sholom Congregation consist of minutes, correspondence, cemetery records, financial and legal records, and general administrative files. Of special interest to researchers are the indentures which provide a clear account of the congregation’s property.
Significance: Rodeph Sholom Congregation was founded in 1875 by David Jacob Meyerhardt. Gradually, as more Jewish people moved to Rome in the 1920s and 1930s, the congregation began to attain stature within the Jewish community and the civic and business life of Rome. In 1931, the first Confirmation service was held by the congregation. Until 1955, Rome had a full-time rabbi, Since then student rabbis from the Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati, Ohio have been serving the congregation during the school term on a bi-monthly basis and also during the High Hold Days. Rodeph Shalom Congregation is affiliated with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations.
Sha'arai Shomayim (Spring Hill Avenue Temple). Mobile, Alabama. Records, c.1908.
Shearith Israel Synagogue. Columbus, Georgia. Records, 1915–1997.
Bringing Torah scrolls to the new Shearith Israel
Size: 1.6 linear feet.
Contents: Correspondence, financial records, minutes, bulletins, newsletters and membership records.
Significance: Shearith Israel Synagogue was founded in 1892 in Columbus, Georgia, by approximately fifteen Jewish families of Eastern European origin. Throughout the 1900s, the synagogue grew from the original fifteen founders to a membership of over 100 families. Over the years, the synagogue has retained an important presence as a conservative Jewish congregation despite its location in a predominantly non-Jewish southern environment.
Temple Beth El. Anniston, Alabama. Records, 1890–2010.
Size: 1.6 linear feet
Content: Temple Beth El Records, 1890–2010, are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder. The collection consists primarily of minutes of the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society also known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood and the Anniston Sisterhood. The minutes provide insight into both the “good works” of Ladies Benevolent Societies as well as the importance of this particular sisterhood in the overall success of this congregation.
Significance: Temple Beth El, Anniston, Alabama was founded as on April 1, 1888, by twenty-four Jewish men of the community. The newly established congregation had no formal house of worship and its members met either in each other’s homes or in rented halls. The founding members were primarily of German-Jewish descent and the congregation adhered to a Classical Reform liturgy.
On December 10, 1890, approximately fifteen women of the congregation formally organized as the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society. The earliest minutes state that “the women had come together for the purpose of “visiting the sick, aiding the poor, and promoting Judaism generally.” In addition to their charitable work, the newly formed society decided to raise money to purchase land for the construction of a permanent house of worship. According to the history of the congregation completed by Beth El member Sherry Blanton in 2000, a New Years Eve hop followed by bazaars and auctions were the society’s means of raising the funds. They also added to the treasury by imposing fines on each other for being absent without good excuse and for not bringing their “fancy work” to meetings.
In the spring of 1891 the Society had enough money to purchase a lot on the northeast corner of Quintard Avenue and Thirteenth Street for $1500. The Society took an active role in all aspects of the construction that would follow and named the new building which was dedicated on December 8, 1893, Temple Beth El (house of God).
Throughout most of its history Temple Beth El did not maintain the services of a Rabbi. Members of the congregation, lay leaders, normally took responsibility for the leading the services. In 1953, The Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati, Ohio offered the services of Paul Irving Bloom, a student-rabbi studying at the seminary. After his first year, and for the next two, Rabbi Bloom began to make bi-monthly visits to Anniston. In 1988 Rabbi Fred Raskind began an eleven year career at Beth El coming for the High Holy Days and for Friday night services twice a month.
On November 5, 1993, Temple Beth El celebrated its 100-year anniversary of the dedication of the sanctuary.
Temple Beth El. Bainbridge, Georgia. Records, 1956.
(photocopy of their golden anniversary commemorative booklet)
Temple Beth El. Dalton, Georgia. Records, 1942–1980.
(journal and an anniversary program containing histories of the congregation.
Temple Beth Israel. Macon, Georgia. Records, 1859–1998.
Size: 7 linear feet.
Content: The collection consists of minutes, correspondence, cemetery records, financial and legal records, and general administrative files.
Of special interest are the minutes which provide an accounting othe congregation's activities from its inception in 1859. The first minute book refers to members called to service for the Confederacy.
Significance: Temple Beth Israel - Macon, Georgia was established in 1859 by eleven men who came together for that purpose at a house on Cherry Street in Macon, Georgia. Today the congregation is still active in the Macon community.
Temple Beth Tikvah. Atlanta, Georgia. Records, 1993.
(confirmation program, 1993)
Temple Beth El, Anniston, Alabama.
Temple B’nai Israel / Albany Hebrew Congregation. Albany, Georgia. Records, 1958–1999.
Temple B'nai Israel confirmation, Albany, Georgia, 1902. Rabbi Edmund A. Landau,
2nd from left, front.
Size: 4 linear feet.
Content: Minutes and financial records relating to the daily activities of this congregation. The researcher interested in the daily operations of building a new synagogue, general daily operations and the work of a Rabbi will find this collection of special interest.
Significance: Temple B'nai Israel has been a Reform Congregation since its founding in 1854 and was a charter member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, now the Union for Reform Judaism.
Temple B'nai Israel. Albany, Georgia. Records, 1895–1996.
(photocopies of early membership lists, minutes, and a history of the congregation)
Temple Emanuel. Atlanta, Geaorgia. Records, 1979–1984.
(bulletin, and dedication program)
Temple Emanu-El. Birmingham, Alabama. Records, 1982.
Temple Israel. Columbus, Georgia. Records, 1898–1979.
Size: .2 linear feet.
Content: Anniversary guest book, 1979, and financial ledger, 1898-1904.
Significance: This is one of Georgia's oldest congregations and was established in Columbus in 1854.
The Temple at its first location on Forsythe Street.
The Temple. Atlanta, Georgia. Records, 1870–1987.
Size: 17.5 linear feet.
Content: Minutes, annual reports, and records relating to The Temple bombing, 1958, bulletins, personal papers of Rabbi David Marx and Rabbi Jacob M. Rothschild, papers relating to the Leo Frank case, financial records, and membership records.
Significance: The Temple was formally incorporated as the Hebrew Benevolent Congregation on April 1, 1967. It is the oldest congregation in Atlanta. In 1895 David Marx assumed the rabbinate and remained in that position for the next 51 years. During Rabbi Marx's tenure at The Temple he led the congregation from Orthodoxy to Reform Judaism, established a Sisterhood, a modern religious school, and choir. He was followed by Rabbi Jacob M. Rothschild who arrived in Atlanta in 1946. Soon after his arrival Rabbi Rothschild established children's services, organized The Temple Youth Group, the Children's Choir and began the publication of The Temple Bulletin. He was among the early Jewish leaders to actively campaign for racial equality, and helped to bring The Temple into the forefront of that effort. Of special interest in this collection are the files and personal diary of Leo M. Frank and the newspaper articles relating to his trial and conviction.
The Temple. Records, 1908.
(postcards (2) - exterior of the building on Pryor and Richardson Streets)