// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search

Finding Aids | The Breman Museum

Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Date Span:  1850-1982

Creator:  The Standard Club

Summary/Abstract:  The Standard Club is the outgrowth of the Concordia Club, which was established in 1867, as Atlanta’s first Jewish social club. Originally located on the third floor of a building on the corner of Forsyth and Marietta Streets, the Standard Club would move five times in the succeeding decades. The records are composed primarily of papers relating to the land and financial transactions necessary for the club’s move in 1905 to the William C. Sanders mansion on Washington Street and for the club’s purchase in 1929, of a lot at 400 Ponce de Leon Avenue. The records consist of financial statements, correspondence, invitations, programs, and newsletters.

Quantity/Physical Description: .4 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository: The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 4, The Standard Club Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, Atlanta, Georgia. 

Separated Material: Photographs removed to visual arts 

Revisions: Finding aid revised to EAD format by Jeremy Katz (March, 2013) 

Related Material: Mss 62, Bobby Johnson Papers 

Processed by:  Sandra Berman (October, 1987)

Arrangement:  The collection is arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  The Standard Club is the outgrowth of the Concordia Club, which was established in 1867, as Atlanta’s first Jewish social club.  Originally located on the third floor of a building on the corner of Forsyth and Marietta Streets, the Standard Club would move five times in the succeeding decades.  It is presently located on beautiful grounds in Roswell, Georgia. For over 100 years the Standard Club met most of the social needs of its many members.  In the early years, the club adhered to a closed membership policy, welcoming primarily those from the well-established German Jewish community to join.  This policy, in part, led to the establishment of social organizations such as the Progressive Club and the Mayfair Club, which met the needs of other segments of Atlanta’s Jewish society.  The history of the Standard Club directly mirrors the history and lifestyle of its members whose social, political, economic, and philanthropic contributions have helped to shape the city of Atlanta. 

Scope and Content:  The historian interested in the social life of Atlanta’s pioneering German Jewish community will find this collection of special interest.  The collection is arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within each folder. 

Collection Inventory  

Series I
 
Box File Description Date
 
1 1 Building operations 1940-1951
  2 Charter 1925
  3 Correspondence 1925-1935
  4 Financial records-coupon bonds 1929-1938
  5 Financial records-income bonds 1905
  6 Financial records-tax, stock receipts and a water bill 1926-1933
  7 History Undated
  8 Invitations and programs 1974-1982
  9 Legal papers relating to Ponce de Leon property 1883-1931
  10 Legal papers relating to Washington Street property 1850-1931
  11 List of stockholders 1906-1925
  12 Miscellany Undated
  13 Newspaper clippings 1963-1974
  14 Newsletters, The Standard Bearer 1982

 

Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login