// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search
Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Date Span:  1923-1978

Creator:  Jewish Progressive Club

Summary/Abstract:  The Jewish Progressive Club was established in 1913 by Russian Jews who felt unwelcome at the Standard Club that had been founded by German Jews in 1867. The records consist of meeting minutes, newsletters, and newspaper clippings.

Quantity/Physical Description: .8 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:
The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 6, Jewish Progressive Club Papers, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Acquisition:  The Cuba Family Archives accessioned the Jewish Progressive Club Records in March, 1994.

Separated Material:  Photographs removed to visual arts. 

Related Material: Mss 4, The Standard Club Records

Processed by:  Sandra Berman

Arrangement:  All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject, and then chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  The Jewish Progressive Club was established in 1913 by Russian Jews who felt unwelcome at the Standard Club that had been founded by German Jews in 1867. Its organizers set up a holding company with a capitalization of $25,000 to invest in real estate. In 1916, they constructed on Pryor Street a clubhouse which included a hall for dances, a billiard room, and a swimming pool. It was one of the only clubs in America to express its Jewishness openly. The Jewish Progressive Club was less exclusive than the Standard Club, and also more affordable.  Since membership dues were a mere three dollars per month, it was quite popular with the "Russian" Jews, who were welcomed as members. In comparison, the Standard Club a fifty dollar initiation fee and annual dues of forty two dollars. By 1924, the Jewish Progressive Club’s membership surpassed 500, and the building had to be expanded. Source: Shankman, Arnold. “Atlanta Jewry, 1900-1930.” American Jewish Archives Journal. Vol. 25, No. 2 (1973) 

Scope and Content: All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject, and then chronologically within each folder. Researchers examining the Jewish Progressive Club Records will gain greater insight into the social life of the Jewish community in Atlanta.

Collection Inventory

Series I
 
Box File Description Date
1 1 Minutes of Board of Governors 1944-1945
2 Minutes of Board of Governors 1946-1948
3 Minutes of Board of Governors 1949-1954
4 Minutes of Board of Governors 1955-1956
5 Minutes of Board of Governors 1957-1959
6 Minutes of Board of Governors 1961-1963
2 1 Minutes of Board of Governors 1964-1966
2 Minutes of Board of Governors 1975-1978
3 Miscellaneous Undated
4 Newsletters 1923-1943
5 Newsletters 1941-1948, 1970
6 Newspaper clippings Ca. 1923-1978

 

Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login