// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search

Finding Aids | The Breman Museum

Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Date Span:  1915-1997

Creator:  Shearith Israel Synagogue (Columbus, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract:  Shearith Israel Synagogue was founded in 1892 in Columbus, Georgia, by approximately fifteen Jewish families of Eastern European origin. Over the years, the synagogue has retained an important presence as a conservative Jewish congregation despite its location in a predominantly non-Jewish southern environment. The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, financial records, bulletins, newsletters, and membership records.

Quantity/Physical Description: 1.6 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 92, Shearith Israel Synagogue Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Separated Material:  Audio and video material removed to visual arts collection and oversized material removed to oversized collection.

Processed by:  Sandra Berman (September, 2000)

Arrangement:  All material is arranged in alphabetical order and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  Shearith Israel Synagogue was founded in 1892 in Columbus, Georgia, by approximately fifteen Jewish families of Eastern European origin.  For the first twenty years, members of the synagogue congregated in various vacant buildings, rooms and member’s homes.  In 1913, Shearith Israel moved to its first permanent home with the building of a synagogue structure in downtown Columbus on First Avenue and 7th Street.  Throughout the 1900s, the synagogue grew from the original fifteen founders to the current membership of over 100 families. The 1950s marked a time of considerable growth for Shearith Israel.  The arrival of Rabbi Kassel Abelson in 1952 coincided with the congregation’s move to a larger and more modern building.  At this time, the congregation also became affiliated with United Synagogue of America and became active in the Conservative movement.  As a result, Shearith Israel’s United Synagogue Youth (USY) chapter became extremely active within the congregation and the entire southeast region.  The sisterhood also gained momentum with assistance and guidance from the Women’s League of Conservative Judaism. Throughout the ensuing decades, Shearith Israel continued to evolve and develop from its humble beginning in 1892.  Over the years, the synagogue has retained an important presence as a conservative Jewish congregation despite its location in a predominantly non-Jewish southern environment.

Scope and Content:  The social historian interested in the growth and development of both secular and spiritual Jewish life in the South will find this collection of special interest. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Collection Inventory

Box File Description Date
1 1 Annual meetings – reports and related material 1960-1997
2 Bulletins 1946-1987
3 Bulletins 1988-1990
4 Confirmation – programs and related material 1956-1973
5 Constitutions, by-laws, and resolutions 1958-1986
6 Correspondence 1950-1959
7 Correspondence 1961-1962
2 1 Education and youth survey Undated
2 Financial records 1957-1987
3 Graduation – programs 1975-1987
4 Histories 1972-1980
5 Invitations 1986-1988
6 Membership – applications, B-W 1961-1976
7 Membership –dues 1976
8 Memorial fund Undated
9 Minutes 1932-1960
10 Minutes 1961-1962
11 Minutes 1963-1969
12 Minutes 1973-1976
13 Minutes 1976-1979
3 1 Minutes 1980-1986
2 Minutes 1987-1991
3 Miscellany 1961
4 Newspaper clippings 1929-1970
5 Officers and board members 1961
6 Publications including newsletters and brochures 1943-1991
7 Productions and plays 1956-1969
8 Rules and regulations Undated
9 Sisterhood – minutes, directory, and related material 1956-1966
10 Soviet Jewry – proclamation 1972
11 Speeches, sermons and reports 1977
12 United Synagogue Youth Southeast Region-Columbus Chapter – minutes 1960-1961
Oversized folder
Broadside – “First Annual Ball” 1915
Resolution honoring Rabbi Alfred L. Goodman of Temple Israel 1975
Newspaper and magazine article (encapsulated) 1970, Undated

 

Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login