// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search

Finding Aids | The Breman Museum

Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Date Span:  1906-1989

Creator:  Sisterhood of Temple B’nai Israel (Albany, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract:  Sisterhood of Temple B'nai Israel, Albany. Georgia was originally known as the Hebrew Ladies Aid Society and was founded in 1895 as The Ladies Aid Society. The records consist of correspondence, financial records and minutes.

Quantity/Physical Description: 8 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 95, Sisterhood of Temple B’nai Israel Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Processed by:  Sandra Berman (November, 2000)

Arrangement:  All material is arranged in alphabetical order and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  Sisterhood of Temple B'nai Israel, Albany. Georgia was originally known as the Hebrew Ladies Aid Society and was founded in 1895 as The Ladies Aid Society. The objective of the organization was to "foster and further the highest ideals of Judaism as expressed through the synagogue; to promote closer fellowship among its members, and. in cooperation with the Congregation, be a mentor for religious, social and educational activities concerning the Temple and religious school."

This organization coexisted with The Young Ladies Co-operative Society and the Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society (HLBS). The former was founded in 1901 by the young Jewish women in Albany as a religious and charitable society and the HLBS was established in 1878 for "the purpose of doing good to all mankind and to bestow charity upon all that are needy and worthy of the same."

Scope and Content:  The social historian interested in Jewish women's organizational and social life in a small Georgia community will find this collection of special interest. All material is arranged in alphabetical order and chronologically within each folder.

Collection Inventory

Box File Description Date
1 1 Constitution and by-laws 1968-1983
2 Correspondence 1918-1989
3 Financial records 1950-1989
4 Minutes 1906-1920
5 Minutes 1930
6 Minutes 1930-1940
7 Minutes 1940-1950
2 1 Minutes 1950-1969
2 Minutes 1969-1973
3 Minutes 1974-1980
4 Minutes 1982-1989
5 Minutes (incomplete loose pages removed from bound volumes) 1922-1989
6 Miscellany 1956-1966
7 Officers and past presidents 1959-1960, Undated

 

Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login