// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search

Finding Aids | The Breman Museum

Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Date Span:  1878-1985

Creator:  The Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society of Albany, Georgia

Summary/Abstract:  The Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society of Albany, Georgia was organized on February 10, 1878, by 13 women with the purpose of  “doing good to all mankind and to bestow charity upon all that are needy and worthy of the same, and to promote in general all that is good and noble.”  Throughout its history, the Society has lived up to these ideals and can be credited with benefiting hundreds of Albany’s citizens by providing both charity and benevolence. The records consist of minutes, correspondence, histories of Temple B’nai Israel and of The Society, financial records, memorial resolutions, membership records, and reports.

Quantity/Physical Description: 1.4 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 97, The Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society of Albany, Georgia, Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Processed by:  Sandra Berman (December, 2000)

Arrangement:  All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note: The 13 original founders were all members of Temple B’nai Israel.  The organization would later work in harmony with The Ladies Aid Society established in 1895, which later became the Temple Sisterhood, and with the Young Ladies Cooperative Society, which was founded in 1901. The Benevolent Society is considered to be the oldest extant Jewish women’s organization in the State of Georgia.  One of the main by-laws of the organization instructed its members that “in the case of sickness of a member of the Society or any female member of their family or a male child under 12 years of age where watch is required, a faithful nurse shall be provided and paid for by the society.”  This practice was continued throughout much of the organization’s 125-year-long history. Over the years, the Society has furnished rooms at the Albany hospital, has provided free lunches for school children in need, sunshine baskets for the sick and needy, Thanksgiving baskets to the Department of Family and Children Services, and contributed financially to numerous charitable societies in Albany, including The Light House for the Blind, the Cancer and Loan Closet, Albany League of Active Teens, the Flint River TB Association, the March of Dimes, and the Youth Association For Retarded Children. In 1979, the board and congregation of Temple B’nai Israel passed a resolution recognizing the Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society as the charitable arm of the Jewish community of Albany.

Scope and Content: The complete set of minutes chronicles the work of a women’s benevolent organization and provides the social historian with insight into Jewish community life in small communities throughout the South.  The collection is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Collection Inventory

Box File Description Date
1 1 Anniversaries 1928-1968
2 By-laws and resolution 1951-1979
3 Calendar, officers and rosters 1930-1978
4 Chronologies and histories 1949-1958
5 Certificates 1971-1985
6 Correspondence 1973
7 Financial records-bank book 1928-1948
8 Financial records-contributions and related material (Includes brochure from Jewish Children’s Service-Atlanta) 1953-1974
9 Financial records-ledger 1949-1961
10 Financial records-miscellaneous receipts and reports 1906-1983
11 Golden Jubilee and Memorial Fund 1928-1959
12 Induction of officers-program 1974
13 Letterhead Undated
14 Memorial resolution Undated
15 Membership and attendance 1956-1964
16 Minutes (includes constitution and memorial resolutions) 1878-1900
2 1 Minutes 1901-1915
2 Minutes (photocopies) 1901-1915
3 Minutes 1916-1922
4 Minutes 1923-1928
5 Minutes (photocopies) 1923-1928
6 Minutes 1928-1935
7 Minutes 1935-1941
3 1 Minutes 1941-1950
2 Minutes 1951-1967
3 Minutes 1967-1975
4 Minutes 1974-1982
5 Minutes (loose pages) 1957-1963
6 Miscellany 1946-1973
7 Newspaper clippings 1908-1978
8 Recipe booklet 1979
9 Reports 1928-1968
10 Scrapbook (photocopy) 1951-1968
11 Temple B’nai Israel-history by Mary Frances Landau Undated
12 Yearbooks 1980-1982

 

Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login