// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search

Finding Aids | The Breman Museum

Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Date Span:  1944-2006

Creator:  The William Breman Jewish Home

Summary/Abstract:  A study of Jewish population, funded by the Federation in 1947, highlighted the need for a facility based on the growing number and higher percentage of aged in the total population. The William Breman Jewish Home opened its facility for the aged in 1951. The collection consists of minutes, correspondence, and newsletters.

Quantity/Physical Description: .6 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 101, The William Breman Jewish Home Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Separated Material: Photographs removed to visual arts collection and all oversized material removed to oversized collection.

Processed by:  Sandra Berman (Aril, 2010)

Arrangement: All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  The William Breman Jewish Home opened its facility for the aged in 1951.  Beginning in 1943, it was understood by some members of the Jewish community that a home for the aged was needed to assist the growing population of elderly who were not being cared for by their immediate families.  Fannie Boorstin was instrumental in bringing the plight of Atlanta’s Jewish aged to the attention of the Atlanta Federation for Jewish Social Service, the predecessor of the Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta.  Those opposed to the idea of a home contended that modern trends were moving away from institutional care for the dependent. By 1945, Fannie Boorstin, Jake Jacobs and Ida Goncher decided to launch a community-wide fund raising campaign for the Home.  The organizational meeting was held on October 18, 1945.  A group of 135 persons attended and $35,000 was raised.  By 1946, the Federation and the newly formed Jewish Community Council began to seriously address the needs of the elderly.  The Council appointed a committee to act as a central board on the care of the Jewish aged.  Frank Garson was asked to chair the committee. A study of Jewish population, funded by the Federation in 1947, highlighted the need for a facility based on the growing number and higher percentage of aged in the total population.  In 1950 Ben Massell donated a parcel of land on Fourteenth and Holly Streets for the purpose of establishing a residential facility.  Following additional donations from members of the community and an allocation of $75,000 from the Atlanta Federation for Jewish Social Service, the home opened in 1951 with a 30-bed capacity. During the next decade the home doubled its capacity to 60 beds.  By 1964 it became evident that further expansion was needed.  William Breman was appointed chairman of a long range planning committee.  Under his leadership it was decided that a new facility be constructed to meet the growing needs of the community.  In 1967 property was purchased at Margaret Mitchell Drive and Howell Mill Road and on February 16, 1971 the new home opened. Over the next thirty years William Breman worked tirelessly for the Jewish Home.  In 1991 he was honored by having the name of the facility changed to The William Breman Jewish Home.

Scope and Content Researchers studying the William Breman Jewish Home Records will gain insight into the working operations of a Jewish home for the elderly. The minutes of the Board are complete and chronicle the history of this important Jewish communal organization. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Collection Inventory

Box File Description Date
1 1 Admissions policies and procedures 1951
2 Anniversary – 10 years 1962
3 Anniversary – 25 years 1976
4 Anniversary – 50 years 2001
5 Annual meetings 1952-1981
6 Annual open houses 1953-1964
7 Annual reports 1952-1965
8 Balser, Meyer 1958
9 Board of directors – manual 1982
10 Boorstin, Fanny 1976
11 Building - campaign 1956-1959
12 Building – groundbreaking 1969
13 Building – opening 1999
14 Calendars of events 1953-1962
15 Constitution and bylaws 1953-1966
16 Correspondence 1944-1984
17 Dedication 1951
18 Dedication 1971
19 Endowment opportunities Undated
20 Financial records 1952, 1965-1967
21 Fox, Lawrence M. 1956
22 Garson, Frank 1953-1955
23 Goldstein, Abe 1965
2 1 Kahn, Edward M. 1964
2 Makover, Thomas 1956
3 Minutes – Central Board and officers 1951-1967
4 Minutes – Central Board and officers 1968-1977
5 Minutes – Committee – Admissions 1951-1955
6 Minutes – Committee – Aged Care Study 1965
7 Minutes – Committee – Building (includes architect, construction, planning and maintenance committees) 1965-1976
8 Minutes – Committee – By-laws 1953
9 Minutes – Committee – Food Service 1967-1977
10 Minutes – Committee – House 1959
11 Minutes – Committee – Land & Site Committee 1965-1966
12 Minutes – Committee – Long Range Planning 1964
13 Minutes – Committee – Medical 1967
14 Minutes – Committee – Membership 1961-1967
15 Minutes – Committee – Nominating 1953-1958
16 Minutes – Committee – Personnel 1958-1977
17 Minutes – Committee – Religious Service 1971
18 Minutes – Committee – Volunteer Services 1968
19 Minutes – Committee – Ways and Means 1965
20 Minutes – general meetings 1966-1968
21 Ms. Georgia Nursing Home Pageant 1981
22 Miscellany 1953-1963
23 Newsletters 1961-1964
24 Newsletters 1965-1970
3 1 Newsletters 2005-2006
2 Newspaper articles 1951-2000
3 Reports 1957-1984
4 Resolutions 1965-1973
5 Rosters – Central Board, committees, officers 1967-1983
6 Scrapbook (original clippings were discarded) 1945-1968
7 Scrapbook 1971
8 Study Committee – Atlanta Jewish Federation 1979
9 Volunteer – reminiscence Undated
Oversized
1 folder consisting of the 10th Annual Report of the Jewish Home, 1961 and original blueprints for a Jewish Home of the Aged in Atlanta
1949

 

Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login