// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search

Finding Aids | The Breman Museum

Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates:  1874-2000

Creator:  Jewish Ladies Aid Society (Columbus, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract:  The Jewish Ladies Aid Society (JLAS) – Columbus, Georgia was founded on July 5, 1874 by The Ladies Purim Association.  These women decided to broaden the focus of their association which was up to now limited to an annual Purim ball, to include charity and benevolence within the Jewish community and throughout the City of Columbus.  Originally named the Daughters of Israel this newly formed organization would subsequently change its name to the Hebrew Benevolent Society, The Ladies Aid Society and finally to the Jewish Ladies Aid Society.  The JLAS functioned as the Sisterhood for Temple B’nai Israel founded in Columbus in 1854.  Later changing its name to Temple Israel, the congregation is the second oldest in the State of Georgia. The records consist of minutes, financial records, annual reports and year books.

Quantity/Physical Description: 2.4 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 109, Jewish Ladies Aid Society (Columbus, Ga.) Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Separated Material:  Photographs removed to visual arts collection.

Processed by:  Sandra Berman (December, 2001)

Arrangement: All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note The Jewish Ladies Aid Society (JLAS) – Columbus, Georgia was founded on July 5, 1874 by The Ladies Purim Association.  These women decided to broaden the focus of their association, that was up to now limited to an annual Purim ball, to include charity and benevolence within the Jewish community and throughout the City of Columbus.  Originally named the Daughters of Israel this newly formed organization would subsequently change its name to the Hebrew Benevolent Society, The Ladies Aid Society and finally to the Jewish Ladies Aid Society. The Jewish Ladies Aid Society functioned as the Sisterhood for Temple B’nai Israel founded in Columbus in 1854.  Later changing its name to Temple Israel, the congregation is the second oldest in the State of Georgia. Throughout its existence the Jewish Ladies Aid Society has continued to establish and support social causes in Columbus.  The society’s projects include the Eva M. Friedlander Educational Fund; the Frank L. Rosenthal Memorial Library Fund; the Matilda D. Rothschild Blind Fund and the Milk Fund founded by Laura Friedlander Rosenberg in 1925.  Of all of the projects established by the JLAS, the Milk Fund is perhaps the best remembered.  This fund provided milk to the large number of school children whose parents worked in the mills and who were often sent to school without proper nourishment. Through its community service programs the Jewish Ladies Aid Society continues to work not only for the good of Temple Israel but for the welfare of the entire community of Columbus.

Scope and Content The social historian interested in women’s benevolence in the late 19th and early 20th centuries will find this collection of special interest.  The minutes date from the inception of the organization and give the researcher an accurate picture of the JLAS’s activities throughout its history. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Collection Inventory

Series I
 
Box File Description Date
1 1 Anniversary- 70th year 1944
2 Anniversary- 75th year 1949
3 Anniversary – 80th year 1954
4 Anniversary- 100th year 1974
5 Bulb Committee 1941-1960
6 Calendar 1964-1965
7 Century Club 1948-1972
8 Certificates 1928-1987
9 Committee rosters Undated
10 Constitutions and bylaws 1947-1959
11 Correspondence (contains correspondence from Beth IsraelCongregation, Jackson, Mississippi to JLAS thanking them For their support following bombing of the Congregation) 1967
12 Eva M. Friedlander Educational Fund 1966-1967
13 Financial records – Frank L. Rosenthal Memorial Library Fund 1966-1967
14 Financial records – general – donations 1945-1953
15 Financial records – general – income and expenses 1947-1955
2 1 Financial records – general – income and expenses 1955-1959
2 Financial records – general - income, expense and dues 1951-1953
3 Financial records – general -  income, expense and dues 1953-1957
4 Financial records – general – miscellaneous documents (including receipts) 1895-1978
5 Financial records – general – proposed budgets 1941-1976
6 Financial records – general – receipts and expenses 1944-1948
7 Financial records – general – treasurers and gift shop reports 1963-1976
8 Financial records – general – yearly statements 1967-1971
9 Financial records – Matilda D. Rothschild Blind Fund 1957-1963
3 1 Financial records – Matilda D. Rothschild Blind Fund 1963-1968
2 Financial records – Matilda D. Rothschild Blind Fund 1968-1975
3 Financial records – Temple Altar Fund 1952-1968
4 Frank L. Rosenthal Memorial Library Fund – general records 1940
5 Histories 1934-1953
6 Job description and rules 1953
7 Kern, Joseph – Estate of 1956
8 Meeting notices 1971-1972
9 Membership 1931, Undated
10 Memorial resolutions and letters of condolence 1934-1983
11 Milk fund 1966
12 Minutes (photocopy) 1874-1902
13 Minutes 1902-1927
14 Minutes 1927-1930
4 1 Minutes 1931-1934
2 Minutes 1940-1944
3 Minutes 1946-1951
4 Minutes 1952-1958
5 Minutes 1958-1969
6 Minutes – Junior Auxiliary 1936-1941
7 Minutes – loose pages and notes removed from bound volumes c.1930-1965
5 1 Muscogee County Parent Teachers Association Clothing Bank 1984
2 National Council of Jewish Women – Columbus Section-receipt from Georgia Hall, Warm Springs, Georgia 1933
3 National Federation of Temple Sisterhoods and Tri State Federation of Temple Sisterhoods 1930-1967
4 Newsletter 1964
5 Newspaper clippings 1936-1987
6 Nominating Committee 1971
7 Plays and scripts Undated
8 Prayer Undated
9 Reports 1930-1961
10 Reports 1962-1989
11 Reports – annual magazine 1954-1985
12 Rummage sale 1953-1974
13 Soviet Jewry 1985
14 Speeches Undated
15 Temple Israel – history – manuscript copy 2000
16 Temple Israel – history – published copy 2000
17 Temple Israel – history – miscellaneous records 1962-1972
18 Temple Israel – organ contract 1907
6 1 Temple Israel – Parent Teacher Association – minutes 1927-1930
2 Temple Israel – Temple Youth Group c. 1960-1967
3 Union of American Hebrew Congregations 1970
4 Year books 1953-1974
5 Year books 1975-1985

 

Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login