// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Date Span:  1922-1985

Creator:  Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract:  The Adas Yeshurun Synagogue is the oldest and first congregation in Augusta, Georgia. It was founded in 1889 and is an Orthodox congregation that is still in existence today. The records are primarily minutes, some financial records, and program books relating to the varied activities and projects of this Orthodox synagogue.  The history of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue can be found in Folder 4:  90th Anniversary, 1979.  Of special interest in this collection are the highlights from 1955 – 1985 found in Folder 16:  “The Menorah”, which gives the history and activities of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue.

Quantity/Physical Description: .4 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 163, Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.) Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Separated Material:  Photographs removed to visual arts collection.

Processed by:  Demece Harvey (October, 2007)

Arrangement:  All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  In 1889 five Orthodox Jewish families residing in Augusta, Georgia formed a minyan that was the origin of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue.  The families belonged to J. Edelstein, Morris Steinberg, Isadore Fromberg, Abram Shapiro and J. M. Frank.  They were know as “Mr. Steinberg’s Minyan” and met over a drugstore on the 1000 block of Broad Street.  Later that year, Abram G. Poliakoff, a shochet, was brought to the city, to administer to all the religious needs of the Orthodox Jewish community, with a population of about 100, and included about eighty men. In 1890, the men who kept the Sabbath felt they could not participate in minyan with men whose businesses were open on that holy day, so they formed another minyan.  In 1891, a third minyan was formed.  In 1891, the three minyans merged. On October 9, 1891, H. C. Rooney, Judge of the Superior Court of Richmond County, Georgia, granted a corporate charter to Morris Steinberg, Bernard Holatsky, Morris Coffsky, Isadore Fromberg, S. Aaron Bulkovstein, Lesser Steinberg, Benjamin Grunglos, Abram Shapiro, Sam Steinberg, Aaron Steinberg, Solomon Wigodsky, and Mandel Sawilowsky, to be incorporated under the name of the Society Adash Jershurien.  Significantly, the petition for a charter did not give religious purposes as a reason for corporation, but “… for mutual benefit and pleasure and to assist in charitable work.” In 1902 the congregation split again because some of the members felt there was a need for another shochet.  After 3 or 4 years, the two congregations came together again.  In 1909, Mrs. Henry Levkoff organized the Daughters of Israel.  Today it functions as the Sisterhood of the Synagogue.  By 1945 the congregation had outgrown their synagogue; Rabbi Goldberger enlisted William Estroff to take leadership in the building of a new synagogue.  Due to the untimely deaths of William Estroff and Rabbi Goldberger, the ground of the new synagogue was not broken until 1953. Adas Yeshurun Synagogue offers a wide range of activities and services.  Some of these include: daily shacharit, mincha and maariv services, two strictly kosher kitchens, a beautiful building including a traditional chapel and sanctuary, banquet hall, religious school, bar/bat mitzvah training, sisterhood, men's club, gift shop, weekly programming for teenagers, adult education, newly renovated mikvah, a private cemetery, weekly shalosh seudos services and meal, and family events.

Scope and Content Researchers studying the Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.) Records will gain insight into Jewish religious life in Augusta, Georgia. All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder. 

Collection Inventory

Box File Description Date
1 1 5th Annual Adas Yeshurun Synagogue Banquet 1970
2 30th Anniversary of Israel 1978
3 75th Anniversary 1965
4 90th Anniversary 1979
5 Affiliate of United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism 1995
6 Board Meetings Minutes 1945 – 1985
7 Chanukah Songster Undated
8 Chanukah Auction 1969
9 Confirmation Service Program Book 1948, 1961
10 Constitution of Adas Yeshurun 1949
11 Constitution Governing Holding Seats and Agreement 1922
12 Correspondence 1949 – 1950
13 Correspondence 1951 – 1960
14 Daughter of Israel Cookbook Undated
15 Financial Records 1944 – 1968
16 High Holy Days Newspaper Article 1993
17 Membership List 1955, 1957
18 The Menorah 1955 – 1985
19 Rabinowitz, Rabbi Baruch Undated
20 Tanenbaum, Rev. Aaron Obituary 1967
21 The Voice of Yeshurun 1951
22 Withholding Statement 1947
23 Woman of the Year 1972 – 1991
24 Yizkor Memorial Book 1956


Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation