// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search
Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates:  1861-1999

Creator:  Temple B’nai Israel/Albany Hebrew Congregation (Albany, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract:  Temple B'nai Israel has been a Reform congregation since its founding in 1854 and was a charter member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, now the Union for Reform Judaism. The records are composed primarily of the minutes and financial records relating to the daily activities of this congregation.

Quantity/Physical Description: .5 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 164, Temple B’nai Israel/Albany Hebrew Congregation (Albany, Ga.) Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Processed by:  Demece Harvey (November, 2007)

Arrangement:  The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  Temple B'nai Israel has been a Reform congregation since its founding in 1854 and was a charter member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, now the Union for Reform Judaism. In 1845-46, only ten years after the founding of Albany, three pioneer Jewish families settled there. The first families in Albany were from German extraction. In January 1854, a petition was filed in the Inferior Court of Dougherty County to incorporate the United Hebrew Society of Albany. The fourteen-year charter was granted for the purpose of purchasing property to build a synagogue, exercising religious worship according to their faith, and establishing a burial ground. In 1858, the original Jewish cemetery lot was purchased, as Jews were not allowed to be buried in the public cemetery at that time. During this period the congregation did not have its own house of worship and services were held in the Mayer Building and the Welch Building, both at Broad Avenue and Washington Street. The Albany congregation was chartered in 1876.  In 1882, the first temple was built at the corner of Jefferson and Broad Streets, followed in 1886 by a building on the corner of Jefferson Street and Oglethorpe Boulevard.  On March 24, 1996, the congregation broke ground for a new facility at the corner of Gillionville Road and Weymouth Drive.  The new temple, was dedicated in May 1999. In 1898, the first permanent rabbi, Dr. Edmund A Landau, Sr., was hired.  He was succeeded by Rabbis Martin Hinchin Kaplan, and Joseph Freedman. Following Rabbi Freedman, were Charles Lessor, David Zalonka and William Cohen.  In 1987, Dr. E. E. "Zeke" Palnick moved to Albany from Little Rock, Arkansas.  Rabbi Palnick retired in June, 1999, and served as Rabbi Emeritus until he passed away in 2005.  Rabbi Dana Evan Kaplan came for the High Holy Days in 2001 and now serves as full time rabbi. Temple B’nai Israel continues the tradition of providing a welcoming center for the Jewish community of southwest Georgia, making the community a better place for everyone to live.

Scope and Content The researcher interested in the daily operations of building a new synagogue, general daily operations and the work of a Rabbi will find this collection of special interest. The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Collection Inventory

Box File Description Date
1 1 Board meeting – minutes 1994
2 Board meeting – minutes 1995
3 Board meeting – minutes 1996
4 Board meeting – minutes 1997
5 Board meeting – minutes 1998
6 Board meeting - minutes 1999
7 Congregation Beth EL in LaGrange, GA Undated
8 Constitution 1998
9 Contract for Purchase and Sale Undated
10 Cornerstone documents, Albany Council No. 5 1895
11 Cornerstone documents, Albany, Georgia – city officials 1896
12 Cornerstone documents, Albany, Georgia – History of Jewish Life by Rabbi Edmund A. Landau 1941
13 Cornerstone documents, Albany - Guards – Roll 1896
14 Cornerstone documents, building committee 1941
15 Cornerstone documents, Confederate paper money 1861 – 1864
16 Cornerstone documents, Confirmation class rosters 1898 – 1940
17 Cornerstone documents, Equitable Building and Loan Association, Association of Albany 1896
18 Cornerstone documents, Free and Accepted Masons – Albany Lodge – Membership 1896
19 Cornerstone documents, Free and Accepted Masons – Albany Lodge – Officers 1896
20 Cornerstone documents, Free and Accepted Masons, State of Georgia – Constitution 1878
21 Cornerstone documents, Grand officers 1896
22 Cornerstone documents, Hebrew Benevolent Society – officers and members 1941
23 Cornerstone documents, Hebrew Sabbath School – Students 1896
24 Cornerstone documents, Hofmayer, Jones and Company 1896
25 Cornerstone documents, Knights of Pitheus – Albany Lodge 1896
26 Cornerstone documents, Knights of Pitheus – Artesian Lodge – membership list 1896
27 Cornerstone documents, membership list 1941
28 Cornerstone documents, Independent Order B’nai B’rith – Micha Lodge – officers and members 1896
29 Cornerstone documents, officers and building committee members 1896
30 Cornerstone documents, speech 1940
31 Cornerstone documents, Sabbath School – teachers 1896
32 Cornerstone documents, Sisterhood officers and members 1940
33 Correspondence 1982 – 1999
34 Financial Reports 1996
35 Financial Reports 1996
36 Financial Reports 1997
2 1 Financial Reports 1998
2 Financial Reports 1999
3 Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society 1981 - 1982
4 Lutz, Harry 1958 – 1991
5 Lutz, Harry Jr. 1960
6 Maschke, David President 1995 – 1998
7 Mekel, Counsul General Arye, Bio 1995
8 Membership Undated
9 Rabbi’s Report to Temple Board 1995 – 1998
10 Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect 1987
11 Temple B’nai Israel Religious School 1996 – 1997
12 Temple Hadashot 1990 – 1994
13 Union of American Hebrew Congregation Undated


Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login