// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search
Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates:  1890-2010

Creator:  Temple Beth El (Anniston, Alabama)

Summary/Abstract:  Founded in 1888, Temple Beth El is the Reform congregation in Anniston, Alabama. The collection consists primarily of minutes of the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society also known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood and the Anniston Sisterhood.  The minutes provide insight into both the “good works” of Ladies Benevolent Societies as well as the importance of this particular sisterhood in the overall success of this congregation.

Quantity/Physical Description: 1.4 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 194, Temple Beth El (Anniston, Alabama) Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Processed by:  Sandra Berman (October, 2010)

Arrangement:  The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  Temple Beth El, Anniston, Alabama, was founded as on April 1, 1888, by twenty-four Jewish men of the community.  The newly established congregation had no formal house of worship and its members met either in each other’s homes or in rented halls.  The founding members were primarily of German-Jewish descent and the congregation adhered to a Classical Reform liturgy. On December 10, 1890, approximately fifteen women of the congregation formally organized as the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society.  The earliest minutes state that “the women had come together for the purpose of ‘visiting the sick, aiding the poor, and promoting Judaism generally.’”  In addition to their charitable work, the newly formed society decided to raise money to purchase land for the construction of a permanent house of worship.  According to the history of the congregation completed by Beth El member Sherry Blanton in 2000, a New Years Eve hop followed by bazaars and auctions were the society’s means of raising the funds.  Society members  also added to the treasury by imposing fines on each other for being absent without good excuse and for not bringing their “fancy work” to meetings. In the spring of 1891, the Society had enough money to purchase a lot on the northeast corner of Quintard Avenue and Thirteenth Street for $1,500.  The Society took an active role in all aspects of the construction that would follow and named the new building, which was dedicated on December 8, 1893, Temple Beth El (house of God). Throughout most of its history Temple Beth El did not maintain the services of a rabbi.  Members of the congregation, lay leaders, normally took responsibility for the leading the services.  In 1953, The Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati, Ohio, offered the services of Paul Irving Bloom, a student rabbi studying at the seminary.  After his first year, and for the next two, Rabbi Bloom began to make bi-monthly visits to Anniston.  In 1988, Rabbi Fred Raskind began an eleven-year career at Beth El, coming for the High Holy Days and for Friday night services twice a month. On November 5, 1993, Temple Beth El celebrated its 100-year anniversary of the dedication of the sanctuary.

Scope and Content Researchers studying the Temple Beth El (Anniston, Alabama) Records will gain insight into Jewish religious life in Anniston, Alabama. The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Collection Inventory

Box File Description Date
1 1 Dues record book 1949-1954
2 Dues record book (photocopy) 1949-1954
3 History 2000
4 History – Temple Beth El’s Holocaust Survivor Stories 2010
5 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association – minutes 1890-1903
6 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association – minutes (photocopy) 1890-1903
7 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association – minutes 1906-1916
8 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association – minutes (photocopy) 1906-1916
2 1 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association (now known as Anniston Sisterhood) – minutes 1914-1917
2 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association (now known as Anniston Sisterhood) – minutes (photocopy) 1914-1917
3 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association – minutes 1916-1927
4 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association – minutes (photocopy) 1916-1927
5 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association (now known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood)-minutes 1928-1934
3 1 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association (now known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood) –minutes (photocopy) 1928-1934
2 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association (now known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood)-minutes 1941-1946
3 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association (now known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood)-minutes (photocopy) 1941-1946
4 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association (now known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood)-minutes 1949-1951
5 Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Association (now known as Henrietta Sterne Sisterhood)-minutes (photocopy) 1949-1951
6 Minutes 1944-1948
7 Minutes (photocopy) 1944-1948
4 1 Minutes and miscellaneous documents (original order) 1959-1967
2 Minutes and miscellaneous documents (original order) 1959-1967
3 Receipt book 1922-1927
4 Receipt book (photocopy) 1922-1927


Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login