// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search
Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Date Span:  1951-1996

Creator:  Marcus Jewish Community Center Atlanta

Summary/Abstract:  The Marcus Jewish Community Center Atlanta formerly known as the Atlanta Jewish Community Center was officially founded in 1910, as the Jewish Educational Alliance. Over the years the center remained the central meeting place for Jewish youth and adults. The records consist of newsletters, annual reports, minutes, programs and flyers.

Quantity/Physical Description: 2.2 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 212, Marcus Jewish Community Center Atlanta Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Processed by:  Sandra Berman (June 2011)

Arrangement:   The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  The Marcus Jewish Community Center Atlanta formerly known as the Atlanta Jewish Community Center was officially founded in 1910, as the Jewish Educational Alliance.  Modeled after the settlement houses that were established in cities with large immigrant populations, the Alliance’s early programs were geared toward Americanizing the newcomers who settled in Atlanta.  Over the next several decades the programs at the Alliance changed. They began to emphasize other activities such as sports and camping, and the building was often the central meeting place for the many boys, girls and adult clubs that were an integral part of the social life for Atlanta’s Jewish community. In 1946, the Jewish Educational Alliance incorporated and formally changed its name to the Atlanta Jewish Community Center (AJCC). Two years later a campaign was launched to begin raising money for the construction of a new building on land the Center had purchased on Peachtree Street.  In 1956, the building was dedicated with William B. Hartsfield, the mayor of Atlanta in attendance. In 1961, the AJCC purchased land on Tillie Mill Road in Dunwoody, Georgia and opened a family park and day camp on that site.  In 1962, additional land was purchased in Cleveland, Georgia for an overnight camp named for Barney Medintz, a community leader. Over the years the center remained the central meeting place for Jewish youth and adults.  As the Jewish community of Atlanta continued its move to the northern suburbs, the location of the main campus was no longer that convenient to a large percentage of the population.  In 1979, Zaban Park named in honor of its major benefactor, Erwin Zaban,  was built on the Tillie Mill Road site and in 1989, the Center opened a third site, Shirley Blumenthal Park in Cobb County.  Again, due to demographic changes the Peachtree Road building was closed and then sold in 1998.   In 2000, in appreciation to Bernie Marcus whose generosity allowed a new building to be erected at Zaban Park, the AJCC formally changed its name to the Marcus Jewish Community Center Atlanta. Today the mission of the MJCCA remains much the same as it was in its early years.  It strives to ensure a vibrant greater Atlanta community by providing programs and services of distinction that inspires meaningful connections and promotes Jewish values.

Scope and Content The social historian interested in the evolution of the immigrant settlement house into community centers will find this collection of special interest. The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder.

Collection Inventory

Box File Description Date
1 1 Activities – book fair 1987
2 Activities – children 1982-1988
3 Activities – general 1981-1988
4 Activities – Institute for Adult Enrichment 1987-1988
5 Activities – Program guides 1974-1980
6 Activities – sports and fitness 1981-1982
7 Activities – teens 1987
8 Anniversary – fifty years 1996
9 Annual meetings and reports 1953-1988
10 Auctions 1983-1985
11 Board of Directors – Manual of Operations and Responsibilities 1985
12 Calendars 1988
13 Camps – AJECOMCE 1983-1986
14 Camps – Camp Barney Medintz 1963-1981
15 Camps – family 1981-1985
16 Camps – general 1983
17 Camps – teens and tweens 1981
18 Israeli Expo 1985
19 Membership Undated
2 1 Minutes – Board of Directors 1975-1978
2 Minutes – Board of Directors 1982-1984
3 Minutes – Board of Directors 1985-1986
4 Minutes – Board of Directors – Executive Committee 1978-1986
5 Minutes – Committees 1951-1959
6 Minutes – Committees 1960-1968
7 Minutes – Committees 1975-1976
8 Minutes – Committees 1977-1978
9 Newsletters – The Center Line 1984
3 1 Newsletters – The Center Line 1985
2 Newsletters – The Center Line 1986
3 Newsletters – The Center Line 1987
4 Newsletters – The Center Line 1988
5 Newspaper articles Undated
6 Officers 1987-1988
7 Personnel 1970
8 Program Committee Workbook 1955-1965
9 Shirley Blumenthal Park – Cobb County 1983-1988
10 Staff organizational chart 1984
11 Theatre 1983-1988
12 Weinstein Center 1988
13 Zaban Park – Shirley Blumenthal Park – expansion and renovation 1998
4 1 Scrapbook, AJCC News 1964-1966
2 Scrapbook 1950-1986
3 Scrapbook 1986-1988


Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login