// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search
Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates:  1993-2011

Creator:  Congregation Ariel (Atlanta, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract:  Congregation Ariel in Atlanta, Georgia, opened in 1993 and is an Orthodox synagogue. The records consist of a scrapbook.

Quantity/Physical Description: .1 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 218, Congregation Ariel (Atlanta, Ga.) Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Arrangement:  The records are arranged in original order.

Biographical/Historical Note:  Congregation Ariel officially opened its doors on Shabbat morning August 7th, 1993 at its first home on Sandell Drive in Dunwoody, Georgia. Rabbi Shmuel Weinbaum, who was serving as the rabbi of the Orthodox community in Santa Fe, New Mexico, was selected as the first rabbi. The name for the new shul, Congregation Ariel, was suggested by rabbi Weinbaum and approved by the congregation. Ariel is the poetic surname used to describe the Temple and Jerusalem in Isaiah, chapter 29. Rabbi Weinbaum resigned after one year due to family illness. In October 1994, Congregation Ariel engaged Rabbi Binyomin Friedman, well-known member of the Atlanta Scholars Kollel, as its new spiritual leader. The Sandell Drive location held approximately 30 people for services. It quickly became apparent that a larger location would soon be needed. Under the leadership of Louis Taratoot and Sam Eden z”l, our present site was selected. A community-wide fundraising campaign was launched and the funds needed to procure the Tilly Mill location were raised. The Friedmans moved to Dunwoody in 1997 and cemented their commitment to a vibrant and dynamic Orthodox community in Dunwoody. Due to the tireless efforts of Rebbitzin Dena, their home on Westover Plantation immediately became “hachnasat orchim” (hospitality) headquarters for the whole area. This is especially evident on Shabbat, when there is always room for one (or ten) more at their table. Now, thank G-d with a membership of over 180 full and associate member families, Ariel is a full-service synagogue offering daily morning and evening minyonim, beginners service, junior congregation, youth programs, young couples groups, Hebrew School, Chevra Kaddisha, and a variety of educational, social, and religious programs. The ruach at Ariel each day is very special. Plans are underway for the first phase of an expansion of our present facilities which will include a Kollel Learning Center. Congregation Ariel looks forward to the future with enthusiasm and optimism and thanks to the Almighty.

Scope and Content:  Researchers studying the Congregation Ariel (Atlanta, Ga.) Records will gain insight into Orthodox religious life in Atlanta, Georgia.  The records are arranged in original order.

Collection Inventory

Box File Description Date
1 1 Scrapbook (photocopy) 1993-2001
2 Scrapbook (photocopy) 1993-2001

 

Posted in: Finding aids

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login