// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search
Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates:  1955 - 2004

Creator:  Levite Jewish Community Center, Birmingham (Ala.)

Summary/Abstract:  Levite Jewish Community Center - Birmingham, Alabama records consisting of records, c.1929-2006, including bulletins, newsletters, fliers, programs, and minutes; yearbooks from the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization District 7, 1973-1975; and a felt banner from Louis Pizitz A.Z.A. Chapter 1212.

Quantity/Physical Description: 1.2 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository: The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation: Box #, Folder #, Mss 320, Levite Jewish Community Center, Birmingham (Ala.) Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Separated Material: Photographs removed to visual arts and oversized material removed to oversized collection.

Processed by:  Demece Harvey, March 2015

Arrangement:  All material is arranged in alphabetical order by subject, and then chronologically within each folder.

Biographical/Historical Note:  The charter for the Jewish Community Center, formerly known as the YMHA, was obtained in 1906 with the following members: Dr. Henry Swedlaw, Joseph Alper, S. J. Levine, M. Shugerman, Louis Wolwitz, J. Goldstein, M. Cohen, Louis Adelson, Jacob Allen and Isarore Shapiro.  Dr. Swedlaw served as the first president.  The next 18 years saw rapid growth under the leadership of many outstanding men.  With the able guidance of Louis Pizitz, the first building on 17th Street and 6th Avenue North was financed.  The site at 700 North 18th Street was obtained in 1920, and in 1924 a new building was dedicated.  It was in the same year, 1924, that the Center became affiliated with the Birmingham Community Chest and to this date has done an outstanding job as a member agency.  In November 1927 Benjamin A. Roth was appointed Executive Director.  During the administration of William P. Engel, great strides were made, including the tremendous job the Center did for the men and women serving in World War II.  It was also during this time initial steps were taken toward a new building.  On December 19, 1955, the present site of 70 acres was purchased and in December, 1956, the contract for construction of the new building was signed.   The Levite Jewish Community Center, formerly Birmingham Jewish Community Center was created for the Jews of Birmingham, (Ala.) to have a recreational facility to foster Jewish life alongside the synagogues in Birmingham, (Ala.). 

Scope and Content:  Bulletins, newsletters, fliers, programs, and minutes; yearbooks from the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization District 7, 1973-1975.

Collection Inventory

Box

File

Description

Date

 

1

1

Address to 75th Annual Meeting

1982

 

2

Annual Meeting

1958

 

3

Annual Report

2000 - 2001

 

4

Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith

1983

 

5

Birmingham Civic Chorus

No date

 

6

Birmingham Jewish Community Center Newsletters

1992 - 1996

 

7

Birmingham Jewish Community Center Programs

1968 - 1978

 

8

Birmingham Jewish Youth Council Directory

No date

 

9

Board of Director Meeting Minutes

1989 – 1991

 

10

Board of Director Meeting Minutes

1998 – 1999

 

11

Campus Capital Campaign Dedication Opportunities

No date

 

12

Center Pieces Newsletter

1997 – 1999

 

13

Certificate of Incorporation of the Birmingham Hebrew Aid Association (copy)

2004

 

14

Civic Film Series Flyers

No date

 

15

Correspondence

1975 - 1983

 

16

Dorsky, Jack

 

 

17

Freiteg, Jack

1988

 

18

GAZAT

1947

 

19

Hadassah

1957

 

20

History, Opening of new facilities

1957 - 1958

 

21

Jewish Community Center Leaflets

No date

 

22

Jewish Youth of Birmingham

1972

 

23

Joy Journal

No date

 

24

LJCC Year 2002 Update

2002

 

25

Levite Family

1950 – 1984

 

26

Levite, Maria

1943

 

27

Levite, Theodore

1927 – 2001

 

28

Membership Analysis

2001

 

29

Metro Area Interfaith Committee

1999

 

30

Minutes

1955 - 1956

 

 

 

 

2

1

Newspaper clippings

No date

 

2

Newspaper clippings

No date

 

3

Newspaper clippings

No date

 

4

Newspaper clippings

No date

 

5

Playbills

1999 – 2001

 

6

Program Guides

1974 – 1977, 1989 – 2000

 

7

Programs & PR

No dates

 

8

The Southern Judaen

1924

 

9

Theatre LJCC

 

 

10

Young Judea Association

1923 & 1931

 

11

Z.O.A. (itinerary)

1955

 

 

 

 

 

 

B'nai B'rith Youth Organization year books

1972, no date, 1973-1974, 1974-1975

 

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login