// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search

Finding Aids | The Breman Museum

Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates:  1895-1978

Creator:  Harmony Club (Savannah, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract:  The Harmonie Club is a Jewish men’s social group that was formed in Savannah on September 28, 1865.  The records consist primarily of minutes and financial information.

Quantity/Physical Description:  5.4 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 336, Harmonie Club Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Custodial History:  The Harmonie Club Records are part of the Savannah Jewish Archives that were transferred from the Georgia Historical Society to the Breman Museum in 2015.

Processed by:  V. Frey (2001) and Jeremy Katz (2015)

Arrangement:  The records are arranged in chronological order within each box.

Biographical/Historical Note:  The Harmonie Club is a Jewish men’s social group that was formed in Savannah on September 28, 1865.  On October 22, 1865, vice president Lawrence Lippman addressed the new club on the topic of the recent Civil War, calling on members to “sink personal spite in oblivion” and let “Harmonie” be their aim.  The Club’s constitution was adopted on December 11, 1865 and original charter on December 6, 1866.  For many years the Club occupied the Masonic Hall at Bull and Broughton Streets, using Andrews Hall at Jefferson and Broughton Streets for special events.  In 1883 the Club purchased 2-4 East Jones Street at Bull Street (Kanter Hall), which the Club held until 1959.

Scope and Content:  The Harmonie Club records date from 1895 to 1978 and consist primarily of minutes and financial information.  Ledgers and record books, dated 1895 to 1974, consist primarily of minutes, visitor information, and financial data including periodic reports made to the club.  Other records, dated 1903 to 1978, include documents pertaining to the club’s minutes, finances, and reports and the 1928 charter. Undated materials are located at the front of their respective folders.

Collection Inventory

Box

File

Description

Date

 

1

1

Bonds

1903

 

2

Annual financial report

1905

 

3

Annual reports

1906

 

4

Charter

1928

 

5

Supplemental deed

1935

 

6

Minutes book (removed from book)

1948-1974

 

7

Financial

1978

 

 

 

 

2

1

Visitor’s book

1895-1957

 

2

Minutes book

1944-1948

 

 

 

 

3

1

Ledger book

1897-1909

 

 

 

 

4

1

Report book

1902-1906

 

 

 

 

5

1

Bond book

1903

 

 

 

 

6

1

Minutes book

1907-1925

 

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login