// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search

Finding Aids | The Breman Museum

Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates:  1947-1994, undated

Creator: Hebrew Community School (Savannah, Ga.)

    Rambam Day School (Savannah, Ga.)

              Savannah Hebrew Day School (Savannah, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract:  Documents relating to the Rambam Day School (formerly the Hebrew Community School and Savannah Hebrew Day School), a Jewish day school in Savannah, Georgia.

Quantity/Physical Description: 0.4 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 363, Rambam Day School Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Custodial History: The Rambam Day School Records are part of the Savannah Jewish Archives which were transferred from the Georgia Historical Society to the Breman Museum in 2015.

Processed by:  M. Belanger, 2002; L. Spracher, 2004; L. Stoudt, 2004; L. Resnick, 2016.

Arrangement:  The folders in this collection are arranged in chronological order.

Biographical/Historical Note:  The Savannah Hebrew Day School merged with the Hebrew Community School in 1990 to become the Rambam Day School.  The Savannah Hebrew Day School was a prominent Jewish educational institution in Savannah, Georgia during the second half of the nineteenth and most of the twentieth centuries. As a congregation-based school, it was intimately related to Congregation B’nai B’rith Jacob.

Congregation B’nai B’rith Jacob was founded in 1861. Their first synagogue was built in 1866 on the northeast corner of State and Montgomery streets in Savannah. While it is unknown when the Hebrew School was started, it may have existed from the beginning since, as an Orthodox congregation, they would have had an immediate need for a Hebrew School to train their young men for Bar Mitzvah. It seems that in addition to training their own congregants the Hebrew School was also open to the youth of the city’s other congregations who wished to learn Hebrew, because the other Jewish schools did not teach the language at the time.

By 1913, the Hebrew School reached an all-time high enrollment of 200 children. This achievement was partially credited to the popularity of Rabbi Charles Blumenthal, who reportedly made an indelible impression on the youth of Savannah.

The arrival of Rabbi Abraham I. Rosenberg (1913-1985) in 1945 also seems to have reinvigorated both the congregation and the Hebrew School. It was during his tenure that the student magazine, Kol Hatalmid was started. In addition, the names of graduates of the Savannah Hebrew Day School were published in the Savannah Jewish News. Finally, he began the process which eventually led to the relocation of the congregation in 1962 from the synagogue on Montgomery Street to a new location at the corner of Abercorn and Atlas streets.

The Savannah Hebrew Day School moved with the congregation to the new Abercorn Street location and took up residence in the Rabbi Abraham I. Rosenberg Education Center along with the Savannah Hebrew Day School and the Hebrew Community Montessori Preschool. When the Savannah Hebrew Day School merged with the Community Hebrew Academy in 1990 to become the Rambam Day School, the school was moved to the Jewish Educational Alliance (JEA) building on Abercorn and 60th streets.

Scope and Content:  The Rambam Day School Records consist of copies of the Savannah Hebrew Day School student magazine Kol Hatalmid and board minutes from the Savannah Hebrew Day School and Rambam Day School.

Collection Inventory

Box

File

Description

Date

 

1

1

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 1, no. 1; “Chanukoh”

1946

 

2

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 1, no. 2; “Purim”

1947

 

3

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 2, no. 1; “Chanukoh”

1947

 

4

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 2, no. 2; “Chamishoh Osor Bishvat”

1948

 

5

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 3, no. 1; “Fall”

1948

 

6

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 3, no. 3; “Passover”

1949

 

7

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 4, no. 1; “Purim”

1950

 

8

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 5, no. 1; “Shovuot”

1951

 

9

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 6, no. 2; “Passover”

1952

 

10

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 7, no. 1; “Shivat-Adar”

1953

 

11

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 7, no. 2; “Adar-Nison”

1953

 

12

Kol Hatalmid- vol. 8, no. 1; “Shvat”

1954

 

13

Hebrew Community School board minutes and correspondence

1987-1994

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login