// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search
Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates:  Circa 1953-1996, undated

Creator:  Gottlieb Food Service (Savannah, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract:  News clippings and menus from Gottlieb’s Bakery and Gottlieb’s Delicatessen and Catering in Savannah, Georgia.

Quantity/Physical Description: 0.4 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 367, Gottlieb Food Service Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Acquisition: Gift of Alan and Lucy Gottlieb, 2002.

Custodial History: The Gottlieb Food Service Records are part of the Savannah Jewish Archives which were transferred from the Georgia Historical Society to the Breman Museum in 2015.

Processed by:  Valerie J. Frey, 2002; Lindsay B. Resnick, 2016.

Arrangement: This collection is split into “Gottlieb’s Bakery” and “Gottlieb’s Deli” sections. Within each section, the folders are arranged alphabetically.

Biographical/Historical Note: Russian immigrant Isadore Gottlieb (ca. 1870-1932) and his wife, the former Jennie Hurwitz (ca. 1872-1963), started a bakery in Savannah, Georgia, in 1884.  The original bakery was located at York and Jefferson streets.  Subsequent locations and branch stores were at Bryan and Montgomery streets (322 and/or 328 West Bryan), Oglethorpe Avenue and Montgomery Street (321-325 West Oglethorpe Avenue), 519 East Broughton Street, and 32nd and Bull streets (1601 Bull Street).  The Gottliebs had eight children:  Joseph (1898-1974), Sadie (1899-1965), Mamie (ca. 1900-1950), Leon (1902-1972), Elliott (1904-1979), Harold "Hank" (1906-1993), Irving (1909-1990), and Milton (1910-1979).  Elliott, Irving, and Sadie became directly involved with the bakery.  Elliott and Irving took charge of the business around 1928.  Elliott's son, Isser (1938-2012), joined the bakery full time in 1959 and ran the business until it closed in 1994.

Joseph started a kosher delicatessen business in 1934 that used baked goods from Gottlieb's Bakery.  The original location was at Bull and 34th streets.  Subsequent branches and locations were at Duffy and Whitaker streets, Bull and 33rd streets (closed in 1978), Bull and 32nd streets, 5500 Abercorn Street (Twelve Oaks Shopping Center), and Sears department store at 7804 Abercorn Street (Oglethorpe Mall).  In 1949, Joseph's son, Alan D. Gottlieb (1928-2003), took charge of the business and eventually expanded into catering services.  Alan's wife, Lucy, and son, Murray, were also involved in the business until it closed in the late 1990s. As of 2016, Murray is the caterer at Congregation B’nai B’rith Jacob Synagogue. Under Alan Gottlieb's care, the business came to be called a "delicateria" and sold "fine" groceries such as imported candies, cookies, and cheeses.

Scope and Content: This collection consists of clippings and menus for both Gottlieb’s bakery and the Kosher deli. 

Collection Inventory

Box

File

Description

Date

1

1

Gottlieb’s Bakery- clippings

1980

 

2

Gottlieb’s Bakery- menus

undated

 

3

Gottlieb’s Deli- clippings

1954-1996, undated

 

4

Gottlieb’s Deli- menus

1974-1988, undated

 

5

Gottlieb’s Deli- product tabs and labels

undated

 

To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation
Login