// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates:  1931-1991

Creator:  United Benevolent Society Records

Summary/Abstract:  The Hungarian Benevolent Society was founded in 1911 in Atlanta, Georgia. The mission of the organization was to come to the relief of its members. In 1942, the organization changed its name to the United Benevolent Society.

Quantity/Physical Description: .4 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository:  The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box #, Folder #, Mss 375, United Benevolent Society Records, The Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.

Separated Material:  Photograph removed to visual arts collection and oversized material removed to oversized collection

Processed by:  Jeremy Katz (September, 2016)

Arrangement:  The records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject.

Biographical/Historical Note: On September 26th, 1910, while attending a social affair at the home of Bro. H. Stern a group of fellow countrymen who had emigrated from Hungary conceived the idea of forming an organization to meet socially at regular intervals and whenever necessary “to relieve its sick and distressed brethren by stipulated amounts”. The original idea is generally credited to Brother Emanuel Reisman but was quickly taken up by those present who lost no time deciding upon a time and place for their first meeting.

It is not definitely known where the first meeting was held but the fact remains that it was held at the home of one of the members and this custom continued until on account of the rapid growth of the organization it became necessary to seek quarters at some public hall. Many meeting halls were used but among the more prominent places were the Jewish Educational Alliance, the Jewish Progressive Club, the Red Man’s Hall, Beth Israel Temple and finally the Hebrew Orphans Home Building.

Shortly after its organization the members applied for a charter which was granted by the Superior Court on Feb. 10th, 1911, thereby legally creating “The Hungarian Benevolent Association” of Atlanta.

Since its inception The Hungarian Benevolent Association has grown steadily and during its existence has numbered among its members some of the most outstanding citizens of the City of Atlanta.

On March 2nd, 1913, less than three years after its beginning, it was able to purchase a plot of ground in Greenwood Cemetery to be used as a burial ground for its deceased members, this plot now has an evaluation of several times its original purchase price.

Although the original intent of the organization was only to come to the relief of its own members yet records show that it did not stop there but made generous donations to needy individuals other than their own members. Contributions were made regularly and freely to Hospitals, The Jewish Educational Alliance, the Hebrew School, War Relief, Palestine Appeals, the Hebrew Orphans Home and to other worthwhile institutions. Books were at one time purchased and donated to the Jewish inmates of the Atlanta Federal Prison. During the World War soldiers were taken care of, Liberty bonds were purchased and to show their loyalty to their adopted country a telegram was sent to President Wilson pledging their allegiance.

The organization changed its name to the United Benevolent Society in 1942.

Scope and Content: Researchers will gain insight on a social welfare organization through examining the United Benevolent Society Records. The records are organized in alphabetical order by subject.

Collection Inventory








Annual Banquet




Articles of Incorporation

1991, 1992



Burial plots

1931, 1960



By-laws and Brief History

1981, Undated



Correspondence, A – C




Correspondence, D – G




Correspondence, H – P




Correspondence, R – Z




Financial statements





1955, 1990-1991



Name change




Proclamation – 300th anniversary of Jewish life in American




Telegram – Mendle Boorstin to Harry Truman


To view our archive section, please enter your email address. You will only have to enter this one time to access our database collection.

Enter Your Email Address
The Breman Museum1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309678-222-3700
© 2018 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.     Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.

Jewish Federation