// William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum
Menu
Search

Finding Aids | The Breman Museum

Jewish Research and Education - Cuba Family Archives, Finding Aids

Dates Span:  1933-1992

Creator:  Ahavath Achim Congregational Sisterhood (Atlanta, Ga.)

Summary/Abstract: Originally known as the Ladies Auxiliary, Ahavath Achim Congregation Sisterhood was founded in 1920 by 18 women as a Synagogue affiliated organization with an emphasis on Jewish values, traditions and education. Over the years the Sisterhood has sponsored numerous projects and activities including adult education, a book shop, Girl Scouts, the Jewish Home and Keren Ami. The records are primarily composed of minutes, program books, souvenir journals, speeches, and programs and invitations relating to the varied activities and sponsored projects of this Synagogue affiliated organization.

Quantity/Physical Description: 13 linear feet

Language(s):  English

Repository: Cuba Family Archives for Southern Jewish History, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30309.

Restrictions on Access:  There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.

Restrictions on Use:  Copyright restrictions may apply.  Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright.  Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Preferred Citation:  Box Number, Folder Number, Mss14, Ahavath Achim Congregational Sisterhood Records, Cuba Family Archives, The William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum, 1440 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30309.

Separated Material:  Photographs removed to visual arts.

Related Material: Mss 21, Ahavath Achim Congregational Records

Processed by:  Sandra Berman (October, 1988); Rachael Scott (November, 2019)

Arrangement:  The collection is arranged into two series: Series I: Subject Files, 1933-1991 Series II: Congregation Ahavath Achim Bulletins, 1947-1983 

Biographical/Historical Note:  Ahavath Achim Congregation Sisterhood was founded in 1920 by 18 women as a Synagogue affiliated organization with an emphasis on Jewish values, traditions and education.  Originally known as the Ladies Auxiliary, the first task of the Sisterhood was to assist in the erection of the Synagogue building on Washington Street.  In 1921, the Sisterhood sponsored the Sunday School of the Congregation as its major project.  The School later became part of one of the largest and finest religious educational centers in the South. Over the years the Sisterhood has continued to sponsor numerous projects and activities including adult education, a book shop, Girl Scouts, the Jewish Home and Keren Ami.  Today Sisterhood projects include holiday workshops, the training of women to transcribe textbooks in Braille, interfaith gatherings with various church groups, ongoing classes and study groups, and the publication of a kosher cookbook.  Sisterhood funds have also helped to support teachers’ salaries in the Religious School, holiday celebrations, Camp Ramah, Israel pilgrimage stipends and the purchase of pieces of equipment for the School and Synagogue. 

Scope and Content:  Congregation Ahavath Achim is the second oldest Synagogue in Atlanta, and the researcher will be able to study the development of the Congregation through the use of the Sisterhood records as well as through the nearly complete series of congregational bulletins, 1947-1983, contained in series II of the collection.  The researcher interested in women’s history and the role that Jewish women have played in the development of synagogue life as well as community life will also find this collection of special interest. The records are arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within each folder. Series I, Subject Files, 1933-1991, contain the records of the Sisterhood, such as their constitution, bylaws, correspondence, and newsletters. They are arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within each folder. Series II, Congregation Ahavath Achim Bulletins, 1947-1983, contains a comprehensive collection of congregational bulletins. These files are arrange chronologically. 

Collection Inventory

Box

File

Description

Date

 

1

1

Ad Journal

1955-1956

 

2

Adult education

1980-1981

 

3

Almanac

1957

 

4

Anniversary celebration-50 years, correspondence

1971

 

5

Anniversary celebration-50 years, general file

1970-1972

 

6

Anniversary celebration-60 years, general file

1982

 

7

Anniversary program

1946

 

8

Annual Report

1956-1957

 

9

Awards and Certificates

1955-2005

 

10

Building Renovation Annual Report and Programs

1956-1958

 

11

Board Meeting Minutes

2005-2006

 

12

Board of Director’s Manual

2014-2015

 

13

Board of Director’s Manual

2016

 

14

Bulletin of Sisterhood-unnamed

1968

 

15

Bulletins of Congregation

1947-1956

 

16

Bulletins of Congregation

1957-1958

 

17

Bulletins of Congregation

1959-1960

 

18

Bulletins of Congregation

1961-1962

 

19

Bulletins of Congregation

1963

 

20

Bulletins of Congregation

1964

 

21

Bulletins of Congregation

1965

 

22

Bulletins of Congregation

1966

 

23

Bulletins of Congregation

1967

 

24

Bulletins of Congregation

1968

 

 

 

 

2

1

Bulletins of Congregation

1969

 

2

Bulletins of Congregation

1970

 

3

Bulletins of Congregation

1971

 

4

Bulletins of Congregation

1972

 

5

Bulletins of Congregation

1973

 

6

Bulletins of Congregation

1974

 

7

Bulletins of Congregation

1975

 

8

Bulletins of Congregation

1976-1977

 

9

Bulletins of Congregation

1978

 

10

Bulletins of Congregation

1979

 

11

Bulletins of Congregation

1980

 

12

Bulletins of Congregation

1981

 

13

Bulletins of Congregation

1982-1983

 

14

Bulletins of Congregation

Undated

 

15

Chanukah Journal

1950

 

16

Constitution and Bylaws

Undated

 

17

Correspondence

1936-1978

 

18

Dayyenu Bulletin

1969

 

19

Donor

1981

 

20

Donor Luncheon Programs

1964-1988

 

21

Donor Luncheon Notebook, Vice President Mrs. Marvin Bernstein

1968-1969

 

22

Events Programs

1965-1982

 

23

Greenwood Cemetery Records

c. 2005

 

24

Gold Book

1970

 

25

Gold Book

1971

 

 

 

 

3

1

Gold Book

1972

 

2

Gold Book

1973

 

3

Gold Book

1974

 

4

Gold Book

1975

 

5

Gold Book

1976

 

6

Gold Book

1977

 

7

Gold Book

1978

 

8

Gold Book

1979

 

9

Gold Book

1980

 

10

Gold Book

1981

 

11

Gold Book

1982

 

12

Gold Book

1985

 

13

Gold Book

1986

 

14

Gold Book

1995

 

15

Gold Book

1996

 

16

Holiday Workshops, all holidays

Undated

 

17

Holiday Workshops, Chanukah

1951-1968

 

18

Holiday Workshops, Passover

1964

 

19

Holiday Workshops, Purim

1952

 

20

Holiday Workshops, Succoth

1952

 

21

Invitations

1935-1991

 

22

Joint Sisterhood

Undated

 

 

 

 

4

1

Journals – Budget Books

1939 – 1943

 

2

Journals – Budget Books

1941 – 1942

 

3

Journals – Budget Books

1943

 

4

Journals – Budget Books

1946 - 1948

 

5

Meeting Minutes

1958-1964

 

6

Meeting Minutes

1964-1967

 

7

Member’s Manual

2013

 

8

Miscellany

1973 and undated

 

9

Newspaper and Magazine Articles

1933-1996

 

10

Newsletter, “Profile”

1977-1979

 

11

Newsletters, other organizations

1956-1959

 

12

Officer’s contact list, Sam Berman

c. 1940

 

13

President’s Notebook

1935-1937

 

14

President’s Notebook – Elizabeth Berchenko

1952-1953

 

15

President’s Notebook – Dorothy Rosenblum

1955-1956

 

16

President’s Notebook – Phyllis Saul

1967-1969

 

17

President’s Notebook – Phyllis Saul

1968-1969

 

18

President’s Notebook – Phyllis Levine

1969-1971

 

19

President’s Notebook – Diane Bernstein (1 of 2)

1973-1974

 

20

President’s Notebook – Diane Bernstein (2 of 2)

1973-1974

 

21

President’s Notebook – Diane Bernstein (1 of 2)

1974-1975

 

22

President’s Notebook – Diane Bernstein (2 of 2)

1974-1975

 

23

President’s Notebook – Doris Goldstein

1975-1976

 

24

President’s Notebook – Doris Goldstein

1976-1977